...ugh too much sugary goodness.
Due to certain complaints of not having a comments section, I've decided to revert back to my old layout.
While munching on some good ole milk and cookies, I was rumaging through my living room junk and I found my old English Writing portfolio from senior year of highschool. And among all the graded papers I found my College Admissions Essay! I don't know if this was the one I submitted to Syracuse but it was a good read looking back at my writing style two years ago. Enjoy!
The Weather On-Ground by Sharrie Huang
If the world was brought upon by the sheer destruction in the loss of power, then I wouldn’t want to be apart of it. Because who I am and what I’m living for at the moment is the power of youth. Our world today is being polluted by the insanities of greed, hatred, and misunderstanding. Being apart of this world entitles us to carry out change in better hopes of greater peace. Currently there are too many events that have struck fear and disappointment in our hearts. There is the fear of channeling our mind and soul to muster strength, and the disappointment in our inabilities to stop the events in this world that has plagued the hearts of millions. I believe in being a champion for the power of youth to inspire the abilities of others to voice their opinions in society.
When we’re given the knowledge of what’s going on in the world, we should take initiative and start a process of change. Too often have people had doubts about thinking of ways to save all that is good in the world. How is it possible that we read news of the tremendous growing numbers of deaths in the world, from the killing of Burmese monks trying to protest against military rule, to the civil destruction of the genocide in Darfur, and still think about what we’re going to do on Friday night with our friends the next second? Many teenagers in this generation undergo a sense of mental deadening when we’re exposed to such tragedies. The numbers might seem like statistics, but they are very real and our emotional upbringing should allow it to affect us in many ways. Therefore I think it’s paramount that the youth in today’s generation do something about the damaging social effects in the world. If a problem arises there’s no safe bet to think it would fade away by itself. When there’s a problem and we don’t act on it, we’re just as responsible as anyone else.
In finding the inspiration to harbor such change, I remember watching a documentary, The Weather Underground, about the growth of youth in combat against the U.S. government in times of moral distress, racism, oppression, and the uneasiness of the Vietnam War. Similarly we’re almost living in that same era. However the notorious Weather Underground underwent acts of violence in protest for change. I disagree with the matters of violence because it should never be brought upon. Violence brings a contradictory image of fighting for peace and what is just. The common use of violence overshadows the agenda for peace and change.
Today we live in a world where youth triumphs the majority of the population. Being apart of the growing generation, the power I withhold is enough to start a change. It doesn’t have to be in a drastic form of matter. It can be as simple as petitioning, an act I find fond of. Although I can say these days it’s hard to get your point across by means of creating posters with a meaning because in the end there are chances that it gets taken down. But if people live by this type of fear then starting a change will be nonexistent. As by the famous aphorism of Emerson, “what lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.” The veracity speaks its matter as the power to create change in society is within us all the time. I favor the idea of starting early in our youth to develop a sense of the greater good in which we choose to pursue, only time will tell when our buds will bloom.
Wednesday, June 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

sharrieee....the font is too smalll...i can't read it
ReplyDeletedamm ur essay is pretty good...that was under 500 words??? . and HEY i'm like the only one who reads ur blog, so i'm 100% of the reader feed back. and I WANT MY COMMENTS
ReplyDelete